Author Topic: JRS Forum  (Read 7501 times)

JRS

JRS Forum
« on: May 06, 2019, 06:55:54 PM »
It seems the Jose Roca forum is almost unusable. Does he not have control panel access to his own site? There is a lot of valuable content there that would be a shame if it were lost.

Brian Alvarez

Re: JRS Forum
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 08:43:00 PM »

This at the top of his Load.php script would fix it:

Code: [Select]
error_reporting(0);
 Not upgrading his PHP version would make it stable until a create_function() alternative is implemented by the forum software.

Kuron

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 06:41:23 PM »
It seems the Jose Roca forum is almost unusable. Does he not have control panel access to his own site? There is a lot of valuable content there that would be a shame if it were lost.

I have not been able to access it for several years as I have no means to recover my password as since moving, I do not have access to the email account I used to register there.  A shame because there are a couple of things I needed to download.

I know Jose moved from the long-dead PowerBASIC to something else, but a quick brush up on PHP would sort this issues as Brian points out.

Glad to see Oxygen still chugging along.  Kudos to Charles!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:14:51 PM by Kuron »

JRS

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 01:06:39 PM »
Theo has to be one of the most clueless forum facilitators I have come across. Why Jose puts up with him is beyond me.

Kuron

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 01:36:25 PM »
Theo has to be one of the most clueless forum facilitators I have come across. Why Jose puts up with him is beyond me.

Based on his behavior in the PureBasic community, Theo is clueless in general.  He reminds me of Gerome from FBSL.

Aurel

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 05:04:36 AM »
He reminds me of Gerome from FBSL.

hmm i don't think that...Gerome is author of FBSL.

Aurel

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 11:14:44 AM »
Jose forum is normal again  :D

Kuron

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 02:24:42 PM »
hmm i don't think that...Gerome is author of FBSL.

He was the original author of FBSL.  Mike made it what it is and did all of the hard work making it into an amazing language.  Like Theo, Gerome did not know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to forum software and because the forum was hacked again, rather than fixing the issues, Gerome decided to pull the plug.  I even privately offered to pay the hosting fees (no strings attached, purely silent contributor) indefinitely to set them up on a server with a local hosting company I have used for many, many, years with zero issues.  Instead, Gerome decided to shit all over what users he had left who had supported him and his product and kill off FBSL.

Aurel

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 10:15:22 PM »
Hey Kuron

Look man..i really don't know who shit who.
But ,if is all that true ,why you simply ask Mike about new FBSL forum?
Would be nice to have FBSL forum.
But from the other side ,with todays very low interest about basic-like languages
in general ,i am not sure  :-\

Kuron

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 11:53:24 PM »
I have moved on as others did, as I knew several who used FBSL and never used the forums.  I just hate to see a damn good product die before its time and it truly was my favorite language, the ability to code in C, as well as ASM was really nice.  And from what Mike had said about the new version in the works, more amazing stuff was coming.   :o

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 03:36:48 PM »
Hi Brice,

My deepest thanks for all your good words towards FBSL and for high esteem of my modest abilities. :)

Gerome was the author of FBSL v1 and 2, and a minor co-developer of v3, and as such has historically retained his copyright over the entire project. I contributed to v1 a lot but was out of reach and unable to contribute when v2 was emerging and used around the years of 2003 to 2005.

Strategic planning, optimization and practically all advanced feature development in v3 were totally my sole responsibility. Moreover, the very heart of FBSL v3, its universal internal and external dynamic typeless call stack and interface with 3rd party modules, was implemented based on my ASM code developed when I had been still taking interest in BCX winding progress as early as 2001 or 2002.

Mehdi grew up and left for the States to study and then work for Google and contributed nothing more than the initial barebones console and the Variant tree structure of a BASIC REPL interpreter, and some basic OOP stuff. Gerome's contribution to v3 was limited chiefly to initial COM interface and supervision over Mehdi's early C exercises. :) And then later he abstained from taking part in FBSL development or forum altogether, although nominally he still kept his ownership rights to FBSL as a whole.

FBSL BASIC reached its physical limits as a hard-to-maintain mixture of bytecode interpreter with heavy rudiments of its tokenized REPL past, and has become a neck stone for its far more advanced assembler and C JIT cohabitants.

If FBSL were ever to revive, its BASIC component should've been completely remodeled from an interpreter into a full scale JIT compiler (pretty much like O2) to perform no worse than its ASM and C counterparts and be able to compile directly to machine code. And of course the entire trio should've moved to 64 bits on a few popular platforms.

I did some basic console-only prototyping of the new v4 design, but alas... Another factor, a general and dramatic drop of public interest in BASIC that Aurel has rightfully pointed out, stopped me from going any further as I lost motivation. And I just wouldn't want to make commitments that I wouldn't be able to deliver for whatever reason, primarily due to being insufficiently motivated. By motivation I mean not so much financial benefits but rather the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction with the fruit of my work.

So I quit and went in for my other hobbies. I do not think I'll be feeling like coming back to BASIC development any time soon. But as they say, if you want to see God laugh in your face, just tell him about your intentions. ;D

Charles Pegge

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 03:54:43 PM »
A slight adjustment to the acronym might be helpful for future development:

Boffins All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code

JRS

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 07:30:12 PM »
The never ending battle to make complex easy to use.