Author Topic: PluriBASIC  (Read 51103 times)

JRS

Re: PluriBASIC
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2019, 07:53:56 PM »
Point me to a link that will show me what my $50 investment will do.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2019, 08:24:49 PM »
+1 John

Patrice Terrier

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2019, 12:50:55 AM »
Brian

The problem i see with the PB syntax is that it is limited to the DDT paradigm, that i never learned myself, while on the contrary the SDK syntax is understood by all native compilers.

You are young and the future is in your hands, why did you choose the dying PB's market is a mistery for me.
Ask yourself what programming languages are teached in school today, and what the head hunters are looking for.
That would give you the right direction to go, especially if you want  to make a living from your work, in 20 years you will still be in buisiness, but most PB's groupies will be long under earth.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2019, 01:36:49 AM »
Define it as a "Alpha" version, say Version .90. Be clear on your website that it is still currently only in the Alpha stage
Offer it for a lower price than what you plan for Version 1.0 (release version).
I personally have no problem in purchasing an Alpha version.
Now one other way to offer an Alpha version, is to call it a PreRelease Version.

No sir,

What you suggest sounds weird and is totally confusing, to say the least. Alpha, beta and release candidate are not pure arbitrary juggling with words by the program author, but rather clearly defined distinct stages of software product development, quality assurance, and deployment.

Thus, no way can you buy an alpha of the product because it is but a very initial and early stage of testing to be performed "in-house". Consequently, you'll have to buy the entire "house" as a minimum. Alpha is exactly what PB6 currently is; so far we were only presented a few test results that Brian obtained by running some tests at home all on his own, long before anybody else could have a chance to verify them publicly, hence more objectively.

What alpha testing should be followed by now is called beta testing, which presupposes a team of 3rd party testers to assess the declared quality and confirm (or not) that the product stands by its declared specs. Again, it wouldn't be reasonable to charge anything for a beta product that has a fair chance of failing to comply.

Further reading on the subject:
https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/difference-between-alpha-and-beta-testing/
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/software_testing_dictionary/release_candidate.htm
etc.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 01:44:08 AM by Mike Lobanovsky »

Brian Alvarez

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2019, 08:54:42 PM »
@ John, there hare dozens of posts with screenshots and explanations of the features of PluriBASIC on the forums, but yes, i will put together a better explanation of what it does.

@ Mike,  from the "TLDR" post:

... but PluriBASIC is already being tested by a group of testers. It has been for a while now (granted we haven't been active in the past few months because of side obligations)...

PluriBASIC is currently in advanced BETA state.

@ Patrice, when i first tried PowerBASIC, i was flabbergasted with the ease to put together an application, the consistency of the functions and the availability of the string management features. Those features are not easily done in other languages. They can be made, but the code becomes cluttered or requiring include files. PowerBASIC is very simple, yet so powerful. For example for sorting arrays. You can use one line of code, compared to the few (not many, but not one) lines of code required in C++. What i like in PowerBASIC is that I can focus on what my code does, instead of "how it does it".

But yes, i realize this alone is not enough to keep users with it. This is why PluriBASIC (despite the name) also supports C++ syntax to an extent. You can define functions, structs macros and other stuff with the bracketed syntax and even mix the code along with the BASIC code. You can write a C++ app and compile it with PowerBASIC (32bits) or write PowerBASIC code and compile it to 64bits using Oxygen... or commpile PHP scripts... whatever rocks your boat. If you dont like DDT, go ahead and write pure SDK programs in either PowerBASIC or C++ style. For example, in PluriBASIC you can either do:

Code: [Select]
int main()
  {
      cout "Hello World";   
      return 0; 
  }

Or...

FUNCTION PBMAIN() AS LONG

STDOUT "Hello world";

FUNCTION = 0       

END FUNCTION

Or even...

FUNCTION PBMAIN() AS LONG

cout "Hello world";

RETURN 0

END FUNCTION

And yes... this is also compilable with PowerBASIC 32bit.

PluriBASIC started as BasictoPHP, but the name soon was too small for it... now the name PluriBASIC is getting small again, because in it is not only BASIC anymore. I Do realize there is a need to go with the flow and my goal is to at least try to keep up. Thats why i said it would be cool to also support Swift syntax. :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 10:19:21 PM by Brian Alvarez »

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2019, 03:26:56 AM »
Brian,

To me, PB6 will become an "advanced beta"  when I have been presented with either the (i) results, (ii) scope and (iii) subject of beta testing obtained by a group of identified (as opposite to anonymous) beta-testers, or my own results as an individual in an audience of potential buyers/would-be users who have public access to a usable copy of official beta.

Without those prerequisites, I'm considering PB6 an alpha unless the alleged beta-testers identify themselves publicly to support your claims and reveal the items as enumerated above.

Either way, the ball is still on your side of the playground.

JRS

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2019, 11:17:41 AM »
Thats why i said it would be cool to also support Swift syntax.

I just built Swift 5.1.2 (released Nov. 7 2019) for the Raspberry Pi. Swift reminds me of the core values I found in ScriptBasic.

I'm in the process of installing Swift for Windows. It looks like it comes with a WX GUI extension. Motivation for me to connect IUP I ported to the RPi and the current Swift build for the RPi.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:44:59 PM by John »

Brian Alvarez

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2019, 05:26:15 PM »
@ John, Thats interesting John, what kind of stuff are you doing with the raspberry?

@ Mike

...To me...

You can consider it whatever you want Mike. As far as im concerned you can consider it non existent, but it is not
very nice to declare categorically something that is not true simply because you consider it to be so, as if others had
to report to you to label their project states?  It stops being "to you" (and professional) when you declare it "for others".

With al due respect, you have no authority over that.  :)

That said, i understand your point of view. I may assemble a group of PB'ers with knowledge of other platforms for
 beta testing publicly, including any of the current group who whish to stay.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2019, 11:52:27 PM »
Brian,

Your attitude to the problems you're facing is not correct economically. In a post-industrial economy, it isn't the product that matters -- it isn't a problem to buy anything as the choice is huge -- it is money that matters. The laws of free market say, the product is worth just as much as the buyer is ready to pay for it. And I as a potential buyer am not prepared to pay any-bloody-thing unless and until I'm shown, and made believe, that the product is worth its declared price and is unique, and it has to be my money that's to be paid for it.

In other words, the buyer is always right as it is his or her money that you, the seller, are hunting for. As simple as that.

A group of knowledgeable beta testers whose competence and skill are unquestionable in the group of potential buyers would in fact be a reasonable compromise. Their conclusion could do a much better job, PR-wise, than yours because authoritative people wouldn't be seeking a black Schroedinger cat in a dark room, especially if the cat isn't in there. :)

JRS

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2019, 08:04:19 AM »
@ John, Thats interesting John, what kind of stuff are you doing with the raspberry?

You should join us on the https://raspberrybasic.org forum if Swift and other languages are of interest.

Brian Alvarez

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »

I dont know what attitude you are talking about Mike.

...authoritative people wouldn't be seeking a black Schroedinger cat in a dark room, especially if the cat isn't in there. :)

Yeah, :) By definition, we wont know until we know... or both. :D

Brian Alvarez

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2019, 11:39:03 PM »
You should join us on the https://raspberrybasic.org forum if Swift and other languages are of interest.

John, i checked the link.  Thanks, i should be joining soon. :)

JRS

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2019, 06:33:59 AM »
Great!

It would be cool to see PluriBASIC running on the RPi.

JRS

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2020, 06:03:55 PM »
Hi Brian,

Can you give us an update where you are with your Power Basic to O2 translator? (PluriBASIC)

Is O2 mature enough to release something soon?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 08:12:40 PM by John »

Brian Alvarez

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2020, 10:17:45 PM »
 I already use it in an almost daily basis.

I was waiting for Charles to fix the "sometimes non-runnable executable produced" issue before showing it to the rest that havent tried it yet.

If i show it like this it might give a negative impression in either Oxygen or PluriBASIC, or maybe both.