Author Topic: Script BASIC Debugger  (Read 2866 times)

JRS

Script BASIC Debugger
« on: May 27, 2018, 09:19:29 AM »
@John, Charles
A debugger allows you to run step by step or run to a line, see (and modify) the variable/parameter values at anytime without putting print everywhere.
With o2debugger you can also log the execution for later analyze,  see several elements of an array, see large area of memory displayed by a selected type (integer, short, etc), see all the field of structure, see the chaining of procedures (called by and so), execute automatically a step by step with a small pause and even change the execution (in a same procedure) to skip line(s) or to reexecute one(s). And many other features.
Just give it a try. I need some reports to fix (surely) existing issues.

Script BASIC for Windows has a great IDE/Debugger when PRINT doesn't do it for me.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:04:43 PM by Mike Lobanovsky »

Mike Lobanovsky

Re: Script BASIC Debugger
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:26:51 PM »
An interpreter debugger can operate on the original binary because the binary's variant variables and the interpreter's REPL engine carry sufficient information to trace the program flow and variable states with respect to the source code at run time. It is not so with static machine code debuggers that require the debugging info and source-to-executable cross-references to be linked statically into a special debug build of the executable in question.

JRS

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 09:36:25 PM »
Script BASIC's debugger is a cross platform preprocessor. There are GUI and console UI front ends as well as a socket based remote interface for debugging web apps.

JRS

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 05:57:12 PM »
Before people get pissed off about Script BASIC being mentioned here, keep in mind DLLC embeds the full functionality of O2 JIT as an extension. DLLC was written by Charles Pegge and is maintain as part of the O2 distribrution.

JRS

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 07:47:29 PM »
Since the death of of VB6, I challenge anyone to show us a better cross platform traditional BASIC than Script BASIC. Each BASIC has its unique direction to resolve a tasks which doesn't make it better or worse of a language variation.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 12:11:54 AM »
John,

... people get pissed off about Script BASIC being mentioned here ...

Noone does except when i) the thread appears highly technical, and ii) the original poster asks people explicitly to abstain from spamming it with ample in situ spin-offs that have very little relevance to, and bloat, the immediate topic.

... keep in mind DLLC embeds the full functionality of O2 JIT as an extension. DLLC was written by Charles Pegge and is maintain as part of the O2 distribrution.

We do and there are quite a number of other threads and even a distinct subforum at Oxygen Basic » Information » Development » DLLC to discuss the topics related directly to DLLC as well as its host interpreter.

... I challenge anyone to show us a better cross platform traditional BASIC than Script BASIC.

That would probably make a popular topic somewhere at basicprogramming dot org, whereas this forum is dedicated chiefly to OxygenBasic, its derivatives, and tools.

... show us a better cross platform traditional BASIC ...
... doesn't make it better or worse ...

Actually, noone said Script BASIC was worse, so please don't instigate a debate to pick things that weren't there. I just said interpretative and static code debuggers are different, just in case you might not realize it.

JRS

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 05:28:15 AM »
Sorry, sometimes I struggle with reality and the obvious eludes me.